This page is about further informations to "mod the mod" for possible contributors
Building a modding enviroment beside your Empires installation to test script changings, without interference with your ususal multiplayer installation or the risk of being overwriten by updates, is quite easily:
- go to Empires directory "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires"
- (there are already two "game" folders, called "empires" and "hl2" - they work just like you want them to)
- create a new folder here, then copy the "gameinfo.txt" from "empires" subdirectory in that folder and change "game" to whatever you called your mod, search for the "gamebin" and replace "|gameinfo_path|bin" with "empires/bin"
- (the folder can be named differently, just the "game" must match, but also the searchpaths if you ever want to create a mod of the mod of the mod)
- - or use Smithy's Gameinfo.txt and change whatever you want
- there are now 2 ways to start this:
- create a new text file in main directory (where the hl2.ese is located), copy [code]hl2.exe -game *YOUR MOD* -novid -insecure[/code] inside it and rename its file extension to ".bat" (a batch file)
- this file acts as the "startbutton" - it needs to be in the same directory like the hl2.exe, so if you want a desktop shortcut make it from that batch :or you can also made one from the hl2.exe and just add the params listed above after the " ;-)
- (should look like "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\hl2.exe" -game *YOUR MOD* -novid -insecure)